Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Contemporary
A focal range that covers all your everyday needs along with macro functionality, this large-aperture zoom lens combines superior performance with a conveniently compact form.
- With its wide zoom range, the lens has a focal range equivalent to 25.5-105mm on a 35mm lens. Thanks to Sigma’s latest technologies, it’s exceptionally lightweight and 30% more compact by volume than previous lenses of its type. Its low F-number equips photographers to shoot subjects at extremely close range, making this the perfect lens for travel, family photos, artistic compositions, and many other uses. A complement to uncompromising optical performance, functionality, quality, and elegance, the compact size of the lens makes it ideal for everyday use. It is highly beneficial to photographers that the lens they use the most is one of the best in quality they have.
- Being able to shoot close to the subject is a crucial element in photography. This lens features a minimum focusing distance of 22cm and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:2.8, producing results that rival those of macro lenses. At 70mm, its working distance is 5.52cm. When used as a telephoto lens, it’s so close to a dedicated macro lens in performance the lens hood seems to touch the subject. Since its range extends from the 35mm equivalent of 25.5mm to 105mm, the lens is perfect for shooting close-ups of fashion accessories, cuisine, flower arrangements and much more. Uncompromising in every aspect of lens design, Sigma has even chosen not to place the product name on the front of the lens to prevent reflection of the letters during close-up photography.
- HSM (hypersonic motor) delivers high AF speed and extremely quiet performance.
- Sigma’s own unique OS (Optical Stabilizer) function is incorporated. It offers superior stabilization, which makes it possible to compensate for camera shake even in macro range photography where a small blur can be easily identified.
- When photographing with point light sources such as electric lights or reflections on a body of water in the background, the rounded 7-blade diaphragm helps produce an attractive bokeh effect – even at large-aperture settings.
- To create a high-performance, compact lens that’s ideal for use in the widest possible range of situations, Sigma slenderized the lens barrel by reducing the size of the image stabilization OS unit and optimizing the lens power distribution and structural layout. The barrel features TSC (Thermally Stable Composite), which offers a high degree of compatibility with metal parts. Since its thermal shrinkage is low, TSC matches well with metal parts, further contributing to the high-precision construction of the lens. TSC also makes possible slimmer forms for parts like the zoom ring and scaling ring. These advances make possible a combination of best-in-class optical performance and a size 30% more compact by volume than previous lenses of its type.
- The specially designed cam makes possible smooth and rhythmical zooming, allowing photographers to find the right focus instantly and shoot with perfect timing.
- All lenses in Sigma’s new Contemporary line come with a hood with a high-quality rubberized connector and feature a newly designed lens cap and AF/MF switch, and are designed for intuitive use and superior functionality. Inside, HSM (hypersonic motor) delivers high AF speed and extremely quiet performance. An enhanced algorithm offers even smoother automatic focusing.
- The brass mount combines high precision with rugged construction. Its treated surfaces and enhanced strength contribute to the exceptional durability of the lens.
- To offer top image quality throughout the zoom range, the lens features 2 FLD (“F” Low Dispersion) glass elements, which have performance equal to fluorite, as well as a SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass, which helps minimize chromatic aberration. The result is superior image quality from infinity to macro distances. Double aspheric lenses produced by precision glass molding and a newly designed cam with a highly complex structure help minimize astigmatism and other forms of aberration and realize top image quality. The bright finder lets photographers compose their images easily. In combination, these features make possible an attractive background bokeh effect at a high shutter speed while minimizing blurring of the subject.
- For our new product lines, we have developed exclusive SIGMA Optimization Pro software that allows the user to update the lens firmware and adjust focus position and other parameters. The user will be able to connect the lens to a computer with a special USB DOCK and use easy-to-operate on-screen controls to create personal lens specifications.
Lens Construction 16 elements in 14 groups
Minimum aperture F22
Filter size 72mm
Angle of view (SD1) 79.7° – 22.9°
Minimum focusing distance 22cm
Dimensions (Diameter x Length) 79mm x 82mm
Blades 7 (Rounded diaphragm)
Maximum magnification ratio 1 : 2.8