Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM Sports
Superior performance redesigned to meet photographers needs, a precise and powerful large-aperture 300mm telephoto zoom lens.
- A large-aperture 120-300mm F2.8 zoom lens, however, eliminates the need for most lens changes, allowing the photographer to adjust zoom and easily achieve the desired framing even in the most difficult of situations.
- The 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM is the first lens to embody the concept of the Sports line. Fully customizable, it allows the photographer to create his or own specification. It is an ideal choice for photographing many different subjects; birds, wild animals, airplanes, motorsports, and even portraits. And Sigma’s exclusive software makes the lens extremely easy to customize.
- The lens uses Sigma’s inner focus and inner zoom technologies, adjusting the focus and zoom rings does not change the length of the lens, resulting in excellent hold for the selected ring positions. Since the front of the lens does not move, the lens is compatible with a circular polarizer. The zoom ring is textured to allow fingers to find the correct position easily. Designed for seamless integration with the rest of the lens, the four control switches feature carefully placed lettering and buttons and specially shaped screws. The lens hood has also been completely redesigned, even down to the screws that connect it to the lens, and the newly designed tripod collar provides for connection to a camera strap.
- HSM (hypersonic motor) delivers high AF speed and extremely quiet performance. An enhanced algorithm offers even smoother automatic focusing, and full-time manual focus override is another key feature.
- This lens features Sigma’s proprietary OS (Optical Stabilizer) offering superior stabilization. Two OS modes are available: Mode 1 for regular photography, and Mode 2 for use in shooting motorsports and other situations in which subjects are moving quickly. By connecting the lens to the separately sold USB dock, users may adjust OS function in detail.
- The barrel of the new series of Sigma lenses features a new TSC (Thermally Stable Composite) that offers minimal thermal shrinkage combined with exceptional hardness. It also offers 25% greater elasticity than polycarbonate. Since its thermal shrinkage is low, TSC matches well with metal parts, further contributing to the high-precision construction of the lens.
- The brass mount combines high precision with rugged construction. Its treated surfaces and enhanced strength contribute to the exceptional durability of the lens. The mount connection area, manual focus ring, customization switch and other controls, switch panels and cover connection areas are all designed to be dust and water-resistant.
- Sigma has also used two lens elements made of fluorite-equivalent FLD (“F” Low Dispersion) glass and one element made of SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass, which help minimize chromatic aberration and provide image quality that rivals that of a fixed-focus lens.
- Sigma have developed exclusive SIGMA Optimization Pro software that allows the user to update the lens firmware and adjust the focus position and other parameters. The user will be able to connect the lens to a computer with a special SIGMA USB DOCK and use easy-to-operate on-screen controls to create personal lens specifications. The focus limiter will be customizable on this lens.
Lens Construction 23 elements in 18 groups
Minimum aperture F22
Filter size 105mm
Angle of view (35mm equivalent) 20.4° – 8.2°
Minimum focusing distance 150cm – 250cm
Dimensions (Diameter x Length) 121.4mm x 291mm / 4.8in x 11.5in
Blades 9 (Rounded diaphragm)
Maximum magnification ratio 1 : 8.1