Leica SL (TYP 601) + VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 24–90 mm f2.8–4 ASPH
LEICA SL – DETAILS. Fast. Direct. Mirrorless.Imaging quality, performance, and versatility: the record values achieved by the Leica SL deliver clear proof that the mirrorless full-frame camera is the technology of the future. An outstanding performance profile is not the only thing that speaks for the Leica SL. The professional character of the camera is also defined by a control concept reduced to essentials, excellent handling, and extremely rugged resilience.
- Mirrorless: A superior system.
- Imaging quality, speed, and extremely rugged resilience: with record values in all areas, the mirrorless Leica SL finally puts an end to the need for traditional single lens reflex technology. In fact, it delivers conclusive proof that the mirrorless, full-frame camera is the technology of the future.
The light coming through the lens falls directly on the sensor, which delivers an uninterrupted live image to the electronic viewfinder. This live image takes all camera settings and exposure parameters into account and, if desired, also displays additional information. The viewfinder displays 100% of the subject. The image in the EyeRes viewfinder can be magnified, for instance, to assess sharpness and subject details.
In contrast to an SLR camera, the scene remains visible in the viewfinder during video recording.
The viewfinder image always remains bright and clear no matter how fast the lens may be. The view also stays bright when stopping down and makes assessing depth of focus much better and easier than with an SLR.
As the capture format of the sensor can be changed electronically, even lenses that do not cover the entire image circle generate a full-size viewfinder image.
As there is no mirror and prism assembly, the camera can be slimmer and more compact. For example, viewed from side, the Leica SL is only 35 mm thick.
As the complex mechanisms of an SLR are no longer required, the Leica SL is less prone to mechanical failures. As there is no mirror slap, it is also much quieter in use.
Thanks to its short register, many different lenses can be mounted with appropriate adapters – even lenses for cinematography.
- The EyeRes Viewfinder:The next generation of viewfinder technology.
- The Leica SL is the world’s first camera conceived for professional photography to feature an electronic viewfinder. With a latency time below the threshold of perception and a resolution of 4.4 million pixels, this EyeRes viewfinder developed especially for the Leica SL offers an entirely new visual experience. As its image can be electronically brightened, the EyeRes viewfinder is superior to optical viewfinders in low or unfavorable light.
- It also offers all the options and features that only an electronic viewfinder can. For instance, the viewfinder, with a size that is reminiscent of medium-format cameras, shows you how your final picture will look. The effects of all decisive parameters like exposure, depth of focus, and white balance are simulated and can thus be assessed before pressing the shutter release. Electronic functions like a dual-axis levelling aid, various grids, or Focus Peaking can be displayed in the electronic viewfinder to help you get the very best from your subjects. The Leica SL meets your professional video recording requirements with a zebra function for avoiding overexposure that can be added to the viewfinder image. The EyeRes viewfinder is activated in the simplest possible way – by looking through it. An integrated sensor switches it on and off to prevent unnecessary battery drain.
- High-Speed Autofocus:Faster than any SLR system.
- Capturing the ideal moment is not only essential in sport photography. In combination with the LEICA APO VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 90–280 mm f/2.8–4, the Leica SL has the fastest autofocus of any professional camera – including SLRs. The full travel of the lens, from infinity to its closest focusing distance, takes place in less than 110 milliseconds.
- This completely new telephoto lens construction features double internal focusing, in which two lens elements move towards each other. This enables extremely fast and almost silent autofocus and consistently high imaging performance from infinity to the closest focusing distance.
- Of course, the Leica SL offers you a choice of AF-C or AF-S, depending on your subject, and the ability to switch from autofocus to manual focus using the ring on the lens at any time. The Leica SL controls focusing on the basis of 49 AF focusing segments with exceptional speed and precision. For very detailed work, the camera also offers the ability to set a single AF focusing point anywhere in the viewfinder image. Focusing can be set either by a simple tap on the touch screen on the part of the subject you wish to focus on, or automatically, by enabling the face detection feature. The Leica SL focuses sharply on the face nearest to the camera. Another useful aid is subject tracking. Here, when a particular object is marked with a focusing point, the focus is held on this object and follows its movement.
- 4K Video: For moving and moving pictures.
- The Leica SL is much more than a professional still-picture camera with video recording capability: it fulfills even the most stringent demands of moviemakers as a fully fledged video camera. This begins with a clear and simple handling concept that clearly separates still and motion picture functions and ends with HDMI 1.4 output.
- This allows professional videos to be output in 4:2:2 10-bit format with 4K cine resolution and the production of professional videos in combination with an HDMI recorder.
- As soon as the Leica SL is in video mode, the display shows only relevant information for video recording, such as safe area, aspect ratio, zebra function, or the recording level of the microphone. As you would expect from professional equipment, the exposure is always displayed as it is during recording. An optional audio adapter allows you to connect an off-camera microphone and the audio recording level can be set without accessing the menu. As when using the Leica SL for still pictures, you can also depend on the excellent quality of motion picture recordings and enjoy almost infinite creative freedom. In combination with the excellent Leica Summilux and Summicron Cine lenses, and by working with 4K resolution in Super 35 format, you gain access to possibilities that were otherwise known only to professionals in the production of movies for the motion-picture industry.
- Maestro II Processor: Instantaneous response in every situation.
- The exceptional speed of the Leica SL is down to the use of a Maestro II series high-performance processor. Thanks to this processor, the Leica SL achieves absolutely the best performance currently possible in the professional camera class and underlines the groundbreaking character of the camera. The Maestro II processor ensures that the camera responds instantaneously to every command. Every time.
- Together with 2 GB of buffer memory, the processor makes it possible to capture consecutive exposures at rates of up to 11 frames per second with full 24-megapixel resolution and 4K video with a frame rate of 30 frames per second. Still pictures can be saved simultaneously in both JPEG and DNG format to an SD memory card by virtue of the fast UHS II standard.
- 24-Megapixel CMOS Sensor: Highest imaging quality in all situations.
- The sensor of the Leica SL has 4000 × 6000 pixels with a pixel pitch of 6 × 6 µm on an active surface area with dimensions of 24 × 36 mm2. This means that you can depend on the imaging quality of a 35 mm, full-frame format. To ensure maximum image sharpness, Leica has intentionally left out the low-pass filter. At the same time, a specially designed pixel architecture ensures that more light falls on each individual photodiode. The result is impressive dynamic range, excellent contrast rendition, exceptional sharpness, the highest resolution, and noise-free images in almost all lighting conditions.
- Particularly in available-light situations, the interplay of the sensor with the Leica SL lenses reveals its full potential and captivates with atmospheric images of superior quality at ISO values of up to 50000. The sensor also plays a key role in terms of the compatibility of the Leica SL-System. For instance, it is optimized for use with Leica M-Lenses and, in addition to supporting all functions, delivers a picture quality that can be achieved only by Leica cameras.
- Controls and Handling: Intuitive handling, held with ease.
- The handling concept of the Leica SL is true to the Leica principle of concentration on essentials – “das Wesentliche.” As a result, the Leica SL can be used intuitively by any photographer. Fewer controls and sophisticated, clear menus let you find the settings you need much faster. Numerous functions can be controlled directly and customized according to your personal preferences.
- With the aid of the Favorites menu, you can then access your most important settings with a single click. The four buttons around the back panel display and two further function buttons can all be freely programmed. Navigation within menus is controlled by either the click wheel or the joystick. The required aperture and shutter speed are set with two separate dials. In addition to the shutter release and the dedicated video recording button, you will also find a button for switching between photo and video mode on the top plate of the camera. The stop-down button used to assess exposure and depth of focus is located on the front of the camera. Thanks to the touch screen, browsing through your exposures is child’s play. The handling concept of the Leica SL assists you in your work in the best possible way: the way you always wanted it to be.
- Rugged and Resilient: Perfectly engineered – takes everything in its stride.
- The Leica SL was conceived to fulfill the special needs of everyday professional photography. From the elaborate construction with the finest materials to the precise finishing of all its components. Its chassis, machined from a block of solid aluminum, weighs only 847 g and offers perfect protection for the sensitive components inside the camera. The use of numerous seals in the camera body, its control elements, and the Leica SL-Lenses makes it virtually impossible for dust, moisture, or water to get inside.
- Specially hardened front glasses with AquaDura® coating protect the lenses against dirt, dust, and moisture. The results can be viewed through the extremely scratch-resistant and anti-reflex coated real glass cover of the back panel display. The special feature here is that the cover glass and the LCD panel form a single entity – with no gaps that could let dust or dirt get inside.
- Maximum Compatibility: Photography with more than 100 Leica lenses.
- With the Leica SL, the choice of lenses you can use is almost limitless. In addition to the lenses of the SL-System, Leica TL mount lenses can also be mounted on the camera without an adapter. Dedicated adapters provide access to many other excellent lenses from past and present Leica systems.
- For instance, you can take unlimited advantage of the exceptional performance of Leica S- and M-Lenses. In the case of Leica M-Lenses, 6-bit coding preserves all functions, such as exposure metering, automatic aperture priority exposure, and manual setting, to their full extent. Thanks to the Leica R-Adapter L, even the extensive range of proven R-Lenses can be used on the Leica SL.
- Seamless Integration: Fits perfectly into your working environment.
- The Leica SL is designed and constructed for seamless integration into existing working environments and work flows. Image data can be saved in the future-proof DNG (Digital Negative) format, the only manufacturer-independent, standardised format that does not rely on dedicated RAW converters. USB 3.0 enables fast and stable tethered shooting with the camera connected to a computer.
- Leica Image Shuttle software ensures an efficient work flow and enables all relevant exposure parameters such as shutter speed and aperture to be assessed on the monitor of a PC. The Leica SL App enables remote control of the camera and the use of a smartphone or tablet as a monitor screen.