Hoya Variable Neutral Density Filter
The Hoya Variable Neutral Density Filter provides a convenient way to maintain exposure control by being able to vary the amount of light entering the camera by 1.5 to 9 stops (0.45 to 2.7 density for Cine use).
- The precision built-in double ring design allows the outer ring to control the amount of neutral density effect anywhere within the 1.5 – 9 stop range. This double-ring design is also thin to reduce the likelihood of vignetting with wide-angle lenses. This control allows for many special effects such as being able to control depth of field by using a wider aperture or create or control motion blur by being able to choose just the right slower shutter speeds for perfect blurring.
- The HOYA Variable Neutral Density filter can take the place of a range of graded ND filters which saves money by only needing to buy one filter.
- Especially useful tool when creating motion blur in moving water such as waterfalls, rivers and crashing waves. Other examples of use: moving vehicles, trains, cars and congested city traffic; blurred panning effects where the subject is clear but the background around it is blurred from the camera following its movement
- Variable Neutral Density filters, and ND filters in general have these main uses: Slow down shutter speed for motion blurring effects like waterfalls, cars or blurred panning movement to make the subject stand out from the background.
- Allow wider apertures to be used to decrease depth-of-field, literally focusing more attention on the subject.
- Allow higher ISO films to be used in brighter lighting conditions
- Allow cine/video cameras, which have a fixed shutter-speed range, to film on brighter lighting conditions such as the beach or in snow on a sunny day.
- The Hoya Variable Density filter uses high-quality optical glass from Hoya Corporation, the worlds largest optical glass manufacturer and is available in sizes 52mm to 82mm.
- For best results use a tripod when photographing with slower shutter speeds.The practical exposure range and light transmittance will vary depending on the situation. When using the filter near or at MIN a cross-like dark pattern will appear across the image and cannot be eliminated. This is a property of the filter and all variable ND filters.
- Available in 52-82mm diameter